So I am dedicated to losing that extra "baby weight" (Not technically sure if that term still applies but I am going to use it as long as I can!) before my sister's wedding... and mostly because it is long overdue! I am currently being motivated by the small wager between my sister Mandi and I.
However, I am huge snacker... which would be fine if I liked snacking on things such as fruits and veggies, but I DON'T! I snack on anything unhealthy and loaded with high fructose corn syrup or chocolate! So I am now dedicated to eat more fruits and veggies but am also in search of some good healthy snacks and/or meals!
Any suggestions or even links to websites with good recipes? 
8 years ago
12 comments:
Good for you! I am just starting--again!!!--myself. I do have lots of cut up, ready-to-eat fruits and veggies in my frige, but have also just found another yummy treat! The Fiber One chocolate chip bars are sooooo good!!! They are fairly low-cal, and have 9 grams of fiber so they keep you full longer. Also, it's a "real" chocolatee taste as opposed to the not-so-appealing chocolate taste in most other bars. That and a glass of skim milk holds me for hours and is also a good evening treat! I'll check back to see what other ideas you get. Heaven knows, I need them too! :)
My current favorites aren't exactly lo-cal, but they are low-fat--dried pineapple (less than $2 for a bag at Walmart) and pumpkin spice cookies (with chocolate chips, of course). Good luck!
If you find any good snacks let me know...I'm the junk food and chocolate snacker as well...I need to get myself to crave fruit!
10 wheat thins and cottage cheese. I get a little cup put in a few scoops of cottage cheese and scoop with the wheat thins. I sometimes just throw peaches or strawberries in the cottage cheese and that does the job too. I hate cottage cheese by itself but somehow this works. I am trying to get off my last 15 too. I just checked the scale and it looks like I only have 12 to go!!! YEA!! We can do it!!
So I am totally going to steal the ideas too! I gotta win this competition! I'm already thinking of how i'm going to spend that $50!!! CHEDDA' COMIN'! :)
A great and healthy dip for veges is 8 oz of plain, lowfat yogurt, add 1 Tbl. of Italian seasoning and let chill for at least 24 hours. It is similar to Ranch, easy to prepare and will hopefully makes getting your fresh, raw veges easier to snack on (plus the kids will LOVE it!).
Also check out super foods, add vege purees to home cooked meals for extra veges that you won't even taste (Deceptively Delious, etc.). Cottage cheese is a GREAT food, oatmeal with raisins, museli, and other hot, fiber filled cereals are MUCH heathier, no high fructose corn syrup and you can add your own dried or fresh fruit. Try it with honey instead of brown sugar or maple syrup.
For more ideas e-mail me, heather093@centurytel.net, I am a NUT for trying to make my family healthy foods that they will eat (my husband being the hardest), if I can, I'd love to help =)
I like this recipe for banana bread it is very good and filling
http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Chip-Coconut-Banana-Bread-104937
This recipe for granola bars is good.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chewy-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx
I put differnt types of fruit and nuts. Eric's favorite peanut butter and chocolate chips(not helathy) but at least not all that processed stuff you get in a box.
Good Luck!
A few recommendations: cottage cheese with "Salad Supreme" seasoning (I think it's McCormick), Quaker rices cakes (the apple cinnamon are my favorite), cucumbers and grape tomatoes, flavored triscuts. And last semester I ate homemade dried apples, but I ran out. The ones at the store have added sugar. Also, my weakness is ice cream, so if you have to have something sweet, try the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches...less calories and they really do taste good. Good luck!
Frozen Peas make a great snack. I love them!
I love the Healthy Pop kettle corn by Jolly time. And if you're trying to go on a lower fat diet, according to Weight Watchers, it's a good idea to add 2 tsp of oil (veggie or canola) to go over that. In my opinion it makes it taste better and you don't even need to feel guilty about eating the whole bag yourself b/c of all the fiber your getting and it's 98% fat free anyway!!
I'm gonna be right behind ya sister after I have this baby!!
PS I was thinking that you look great anyway, but to each his own I guess. At least you don't have as much to loose as I do!
Granola is also good to eat and has a lot of fiber in it... there is less added stuff than in granola bars. Raisins and craisins are good healthy snack foods as well.
Post a Comment